Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cash flow planning help

After the cash flow planning / budgeting week, you may be a little overwhelmed by all the paperwork Dave recommends to manage your financial life...each month. People often ask me, "Do you really do this?" I can assure you that I do and I can assure you that I don't.

Let me explain. I don't complete all the paper forms, but I have a spreadsheet that includes all the forms and I plug our numbers into that every single month, adjusting until income minus expenses equals ZERO. And it takes just a few minutes. Carrie and I discuss it and agree to the plan. We use the cash envelope system, which reduces the workload through the month. And I can assure you that it works.

Keep in mind that once you get the kinks worked out of your budget many of the line items don't change. That is why I encourage people to do the hard work and commit to stick it out for 3 months at least before deciding how doable it is.

And when it comes to the envelopes, here is how we do it. When we take the money out for groceries for example, I count that full amount as spent for the month. I don't track our spending within the envelope, if that makes sense. Some people do. I don't. So instead of 6 or 7 or more transactions for groceries, I record only one each month. This makes the tracking very simple. And Carrie doesn't have to call and ask about buying something. As long as she stays within the cash allotted for a category, she has total freedom. She likes that!

Below are some online money management tools you may want to check out. They do the math for you, making the process of of adjusting to zero much easier. These are great tools that will help you to WIN.

  • Dave Ramsey's Gazelle Budget Software (available free for members during FPU)
https://mrc.daveramsey.com/

This is the real deal right from the source. You get access to all kinds of tools, help and encouragement to keep you "Gazelle Intense" on your journey to Financial Peace. This is an incredible tool I encourage you to check out.

You can also buy the software on CD for $18.95 at http://www.daveramsey.com/store/budgeting-tools/budgeting-software/cBUDGETING-cBudSoft-p1.html

The CD software is PC-only. Dave often offers it on sale for only $10.

There is a "Lite" version of the budget form you can use without login at:

http://www.daveramsey.com/tools/budget-lite/

Just print it off after completing the form.

  • Mvelopes
http://www.mvelopes.com/

This is another amazing online software system that is available for a fee. It can connect with your accounts online if you want for it to automatically download transactions. You can make adjustments from there if needed. It uses a virtual "envelope system" to track you budget-to-actual and keep you on track. You "fund" the "mvelopes" and spend from them online, making tracking very easy.

  • Mint.com
https://www.mint.com/

Mint has become very popular because it also connects online with your bank and other accounts and because it is free. It automatically assigns expenses to budget categories based on the place of purchase (for example, if the purchase is from a grocery store it determines the expense to be groceries). You can make adjustments as needed. Mint does collect data about your finances anonymously, which is a concern for some.

  • YNAB (You Need A Budget)
http://www.youneedabudget.com/

YNAB is available online or you can purchase the software for PC or Mac. It offers lots of online resources to help you understand how to use the YNAB system. YNAB is a great tool, available for a fee.

Pear is a simple but powerful budget system offered for a small monthly fee. Pear Budget "Uses the classic “envelopes” method of budgeting, but updated for the web. Fans of Dave Ramsey love us!"

  • Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet software
If you are comfortable and familiar using spreadsheets and would like me to email you forms in this format, just let me know and I will send you what I use.

Some people like the manual forms. Others prefer different software tools. Find what works best for you and that you will use ongoing. Make it a habit!

Most importantly and this is true always...if you need any help or have questions, please contact me. I am here to help in any way I can.

No comments: